Create and maintain your personal development plan
Under the enhanced CPD scheme, dental professionals must hold a personal development plan (PDP), record their CPD activities and submit an annual report. We have created an Excel template to simplify the process. Excel is readily available, with free online and mobile versions, so you can use the template and have it readily available on your desktop or mobile device.
The template guides you through the creation of a realistic PDP, helps you record your CPD activities and complete your annual submission to the GDC. It facilitates reflective practice, guides career development and helps assess the impact of CPD activities on patient care.
The template is compatible with the desktop versions of Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013 and 2010, mobile versions (iOS, Android and Windows 10 Mobile) and online version. Please note that the mobile and online versions of Excel do not have the full feature set of the desktop versions, but this does not affect the ability to create a PDP, record CPD activities and view the summary.
We recommend storing the document on cloud storage (DropBox, Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive etc so that it is always available across your devices. This will make it simple to keep your PDP and CPD up to date and therefore genuinely useful.
To install and start using the template:
- Download the file (see below; you must also agree to our terms and conditions).
- Copy the file to where you would like to store it. Using your cloud storage (e.g. OneDrive) makes it readily available across devices and it will be backed up.
- Click to open in Excel and follow the guide. If you are using a mobile device use the Excel app which can be downloaded from the respective store.
Training and support
The template is featured in our free course Making the most of The Dental Channel. Watch step-by-step how to use the template to:
- identify your learning needs;
- create your PDP;
- record your CPD activities;
- update your PDP;
- submit your reports to the GDC;
- assess the effectiveness of your CPD.
You may post any questions about using the template in the accompanying community group.
For a broader discussion of personal development planning and CPD please see Personal Development Planning and CPD recording: Making them work for you.